Before the 1600’s Belle Terre was occupied by the Indians. They referred to Belle Terre as Nanowantuc. “The stream that dries up”. In 1689 they deeded the land to three Englishmen. Their names were Woodhull, Smith and Floyd. They called the peninsula Mt. Misery most likely because of shipwrecks.
In the 1700’s Mt. Misery changed ownership to the Strong family of Strong’s Neck. They owned it for over one hundred years. The ladies of the Strong family did not like the name Mt. Misery so they converted it to Oakwood, due to the areas wide array of giant oak trees.
The old Belle Terre club built in 1906 which burned down in the 1934.